Saturday, September 1, 2018

Tough Day


Well today was planned to be a work day.  I fell a day behind on this blog; there were emails I had to clear regarding my retirement, just a bunch of hanging tasks – which are unrelated to hanging chads!  My first task was a General Dynamics separation questionnaire which was fairly easy.  Next I cleared up a couple of dental insurance emails and then it was my Navy reserve retirement.  I retired from service in 2004 so at that time my retirement percentage became fixed.  You would think that my 60th birthday would not be a surprise to the federal government but they always seem to hit new levels of ineptitude!  I was told they did not get my paperwork on time.  The reason the paper work got to them late was because I sent it to the address in the forms instructions, which hasn’t been a navy office for two years!  The government loves you when you’re a male between 17 and 19 years old but after that…
Now that I’m completely frustrated I had to take a break to calm down.  So we went for a nice ride to the post office to mail the truck payment.  Fortunately, the Reserve pension doesn’t pay that!  The post office is in the village of Westport Point.  Westport Point brings back the quiet New England fishing village.  Navigating the village is tough because the roads are VERY narrow.  The driver does not get to do much sightseeing.  From the port, which is still geared around commercial fishing, there are a few blocks of ‘Captains’ house from the whaling days.  The village quickly fades to farms, many still functioning.
After that it was back to Lee’s Market for some items that didn’t seem to make the food list and then we went in search of a guy who sells wood in bins - $5 a bin! Don’t tell the campground!  Only their wood is allowed here!  We then made a quick tour of the Head of Westport.  This looks like the ideal place to launch kayaks – and there is a snack shop there for when we get back!  We also did another check of the boat launch since we want to tour the salt marshes.
Well tomorrow starts the Holiday weekend and the campground is full.

No comments:

Post a Comment