Friday, September 7, 2018

Chore day


Today ended up being a chore day.  The level indicators for the Flagstaff indicate in thirds (E, 1/3, 2/3, F) so when the fresh water tank indicator drops to 1/3 we fill it and then dump the black water tank and both gray water tanks.  Lori normally tops off the fresh water tank while I handle the ‘dirty work’. This time I just happened to be onboard as she started filling the fresh water tank and noticed it immediately went to 2/3 – so this time we caught it just as it dropped below the 2/3 probe.  No big deal as this would mean less for me to dump – what goes in must come out!  When we long term camp without full hookups I use a 22-gallon tote on the galley gray water tank and a 42-gallon tote for the rear gray and black water tanks.  Since my fresh water capacity in the Flagstaff is 43 gallons and all my waste tanks are 45 gallon I figure if I dump waste when I fill the fresh water no waste tank will be more than 1/3 full.  So far my theory has worked and there have been no dumping incidents! I typically make two trips – I get the 22-gallon tote hooked to the Ram and then dump black water into the 42-gallon tote.  Once black water dumping is secured I pull he back gray water valve and head to the dump station.  By the time I have the 22-gallon hooked back up to the galley tank, the read gray water is done draining and I can clear the hose and take the 42 to the dump station.
 Since it was a chore day I decided to take the Rand McNally GPS and update it.  Since there is no wifi here I use my iphone8 as a hotspot.  This has worked really well throughout New England, though I hear there is going to be problems heading west.  That may impact my blogging!
Usually – when dry camping - I get up in the morning and make a cup of instant coffee.  I then go for a run or bike, come home and start the generator to run the Mr. Coffee.  I typically don’t like running the generator before 8 a.m.  So this morning was the usual routine.  After I made coffee I shut the generator down since I have a solar panel on the roof and really don’t need it to charge batteries.  This morning Lori didn’t get up until after I shut the generator down.  Since she wanted an English muffin I went out to get the generator running and it would not fire – flooded!  So I ended up playing with the generator throughout the day.  It appears that it has become temperamental and requires a ‘rest period’ before I can restart it or it floods out.  Think it’s time for a new spark plug – though I just had the annual maintenance done in April.
Since it was a chore day I got a little more of the chrome done with Amorall so the Ram is starting to look good!  I really need a good rain so I can actually wash the Flagstaff and the Ram – but the Ram can always go to most car washes, it is a little on the tall side so I have to be careful.
In continuing what appears to be my budding career as a restaurant critic – we went to dinner at Marguerite’s Restaurant.  You would think, by the name, the place would have a Mexican flare, but it has a locally inspired menu that includes food ranging from burgers to seafood.  Lori and I both went for the chicken and biscuits.  This is like a chicken pot pie bu the filling is served over biscuits – it was great!
Well tomorrow is the long drive to Connecticut for a doctors appointment and possibly a trip to the submarine base to try and get ID cards.

No comments:

Post a Comment