Friday, September 7, 2018

People Make All the Difference


Today it was up early and a quick breakfast.  We needed to get on the road to Connecticut for a doctors appointment.  We also had planned on meeting some friends for lunch and – everything working to plan – going to the submarine base for ID cards.
Let me tell you – people make a difference in any organization.  We spent 4 hours on Tuesday in Newport trying to get ID cards. While the staff in Newport was nice they only did what was required and would not take that extra step or ask that one extra question.  At New London we were seen in under an hour but were told we did not have the correct paper work.  I knew we did because I had checked the requirements.  The clerk in New London asked how he could verify what I was telling him and I connected him with the source. Bada-boom, bada-bing; ID cards in hand and out the door in under an hour-and-a-half for two people! Out in time to make the planned lunch with friends!
We met Lori’s friend Carol for lunch at 36 Town Grill & Tap.  This is a small but well laid out restaurant, with a bar, in a strip mall.  Everyone got sandwiches, me an onion and mushroom burger (½ pounder!).  Everyone was pleased with their meals and the prices were reasonable.
From there it was a swing by the daughter’s house to pickup mail - mostly to get my driver’s license and Lori’s Fitbit.  In the backwards way Connecticut is, when you go for your driver’s license they give you a paper copy of the new license and a central issuing facility will mail you the laminated license.  This seems like a step backward and I can’t wait to get to Florida to see how getting my license down there will work.

No comments:

Post a Comment