Monday, September 24, 2018

Not Catching a Break


One advantage to the retired lifestyle – or at least I thought so – is that I could drive less.  Yes, you heard correctly.  I guy who travels the country as a life style choice but does not like to drive – ironic, isn’t it?  I really like the days when I don’t go anywhere and just walk the trails or hang around in walking distance to the campground.  The crappy weather here in Southeastern MA has made that a little more difficult.  On rainy days we try to do indoor things like food shop, laundry, etc. It is really the only planning that we do now that we are retired.  We take advantage of the damp yucky days by doing the spontaneous touristy stuff of walking the little villages or local shopping districts where we can pop in and out of the stores, grab a lunch or hot drink and otherwise just relax – no planning required, just cross something of the to-do list.  Well we have managed to string together over a week where my solar panel is beginning to feel like it has lost its purpose in life – though the generator is getting quite the ego!
While today was supposed to be a beach day, Mother Nature had other plans.  I needed to replace my flagpole so we decided to head to Camping World.  While Lori was getting dressed she noticed that her jeans were wearing thin – you can tell it’s getting cool here – the long pants are coming out.  So now instead of one stop, it is two.  That’s OK there will be a store that sells jeans near…well anywhere.  Because of our numerous trips to Camping World I know that the exit before my planned GPS exit is also for the same town (Berkley) so I decide to take that exit and let GPS recalculate a new route.  You never know what you will find on these little adventures – and as long as I don’t have the trailer in tow I know I’m not in danger of height or propane restrictions.  This reroute turned up an interesting find – Myricks Airport.  

   Myricks has just one grass runway in the East-West (9/27) direction but averages 88 flights per week.
From the airport it was a short trip to Camping World where Joey knew exactly where the flag poles were.  He showed me the two different models that were in stock and explained the differences.  I chose the one that attaches to the ladder at the back of the trailer.  Installation was easy but the pole must be fully extended when you put it in the holder.  This makes setting the holder, with flags flapping in the breeze, on the difficult side. 

After leaving Camping World, we set a course for the closest Walmart (why do I do this to myself?).  GPS set a course for Raynham, just a few miles away.  On the way to Raynham we pass signs for Massasoit State Park.  We used to camp here several years ago.  A lightening strike took out the electrical system and rather than allow dry camping (perhaps at a reduced rate) MA DCR (add link) decided to shut down the park and allow it to fall into disrepair.  Eventually someone extracted their head and revamped the electric system in the park to allow it to open for camping this year.  We decided it would be worth visit and we could place some of Lori’s Kindness Rocks.  The park looks exactly as it did before the shutdown.  However, one of the camping loops has been replaced by a playground.  The loop the playground is in has picnic tables in the old sites and the fire pits have been removed so it has been redesignated a picnic loop. 

Let’s hope that tomorrow turns nice.  I’m really tired of driving and we hit the road Friday for at least two long shifts behind the wheel.

No comments:

Post a Comment