Tuesday, September 4, 2018

Cleaning Day


Today is the day I finally got to do some chores.  Living the beach life takes its toll on the equipment.  My Ram 2500 and Flagstaff are covered with dried salt spray.  Since the middle of May we have been living close enough to either Block Island Sound or Buzzards Bay that the winds off the water carries salt to deposit on everything.  I started out strong but, like every good intention, neither vehicle is finished - they are better.  I washed the outside of the windows and now we can actually see out of the windows of the Flagstaff!  Two things are important to RV maintenance.  First, seals must stay pliable so I took a lot of time with the silicon lubricant and made sure I put a nice coating on the seals for the windows, doors, slides, and hatches.  The second thing to remember on the RV is that rust is thy enemy!  I plan to do an undercarriage inspection when we get to Maryland – mostly because I’m thinking of hosing down underneath really well because of the beach living.  That and it’ll be cooler in October.  Until then I did a ‘bend at the knees’ inspection around the rig.  Two stabilizers showed flaking paint and rust so I hit them with the sanding block and some gloss black Rustoleum – because, let’s face it; everything is better when shiny!  I eventually plan to replace the stabilizers – I’ve replaced one already.  The ones that came with the Flagstaff are pretty light duty.  The company does this to keep the trailer weight down.  I’m not that worried about increasing trailer weight a little since the Ram 2500 is capable of towing 15,300 with an 1100 pound capacity in the truck.  Right now the Flagstaff is about 7800 lbs.
The truck really needs a bath and a good waxing.  But after windows, seals, and painting on the Flagstaff I did not want to be stuck inside a hot cab doing more windows and armoralling (did I just invent a new word!) the interior.  So I hit the tires with some tire black.  Cleaned the chrome grill and then sat on a bucket cleaning the rims – and working on the back tan!  At the request of Dan from Troup – here is a picture of my rig. 
Not all shiny yet but, better than it was.
Finally, it was supper.  I continually rave about Lee’s Market – and will continue to do so – because their prepared meats are great and a time saver!  Last night because the grandchild was over we used their Chinese Restaurant style ribs and tonight it was the tequila-lime chicken breast.  Just throw them on the Weber Q and make a side – dinner is done!
Well tomorrow is a trip to Newport to add to my continuing mistrust of Uncle Sam!  Hopefully it goes well.  At least Lori is taking me out to dinner because I’m trying to keep this at least a PG-13 post - and if things don’t go well it may be limited to a restaurant review!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment