Friday, September 14, 2018

Call Me Spicoli


Today was another rainy day.  Fortunately the rain started before I left for my morning run / walk.  Today was going to by my long trip and I’m not really in shape to hustle back if the rain starts when I’m half way through, so the return would be wet and miserable.  Since it rained I decided to again use Mother Nature to my advantage and wash the Ram and spray some of the salt off the undercarriage.  Now both the truck and the trailer look pretty good.
When I checked the propane I noticed I had an empty bottle.  That’s about 2-1/2 weeks on 30 pounds, seems a little much to me so I’ll have to track my usage a little better.  Anyway empty propane means another trip to Westport Ace Hardware – and I wasn’t planning to drive today.  When I remove a propane bottle I always check the holder for rust and peeling paint – rust is the enemy. I found some flaking paint but no rust so I went over the area with my sanding block and applied some Rustoleum and let it dry while I was getting the bottle filled.
Before heading out I noticed that the pole for my tailgating flag holder (purchased at Ace in Norwich, CT) was sitting at a large angle. The bottom of the pole, where it secures to the base, shattered making the pole and holder unusable. Since I was going to Ace I wanted to see if they sold the same flag holder so I could get the companies name and send a complaint since it is only six-months old.  Unfortunately, Westport did not carry the flagpole so the company remains a mystery and I’ll probably have to make another trip to Camping World for a new flag pole.  I’m thinking the Ram can get to some of these places by itself!
The effects of Hurricane Florence are very visible here today. 
The surf is pretty big and that always brings out the surfers.  By late afternoon you could see that a lot of people went to work with their boards (surf and standup paddle) on the car and took a half-day off.  Surfing is always something I wanted to try but never got the opportunity – I can picture myself a Spicoli from Fast Times!  After the wave crashes on the shore and the water is pulling back to the ocean, you can hear the rocks bumping into each other as the out surge pulls them along.  It is then you realize that in 1000 years the rocks on this beach will be no more –the constant erosion will have turned into a sandy beach.

No comments:

Post a Comment