Monday, September 10, 2018

Helping the Neighbor


Here is the nice thing about camping – help is only as far as the next site!  This morning I’m enjoying my morning cup of coffee when I hear someone outside my screen door say, “Knock, Knock”.  So I answer and the guy asks if I have a hammer.  More curious than seeking technical accuracy I ask, “Will a rubber mallet do? Or would you like a ball peen?”  He says the cable for his roof got snagged and he needs to ‘whack it’ back into place.  So I give him my rubber mallet and follow him two sites down where his antique Jayco has the roof mostly down.  His cable has been spliced with so many cable clamps that if he is not watching it wind on the winch carefully it will jam in the hub. I counted at least 8 cable clamps in that tiny winch!  I recommended he either replace the whole cable or replace the cable from the farthest connection to the wince to reduce the number of splices to one.  Then I recommended he go look at Popup Portal to see what advice was already out there about his lift system.
My good deed for the day done – it was time to do my ‘community service’ so we could get laundry done.  Fortunately we have more than enough clothes packed in the trailer but once the laundry baskets (yes, plural) get full it’s time to find a place to clean them and get them back in their place.  Before we leave the campground we always make the rounds looking for wood that was left behind!  Come on people!  Help out the host campers and leave some wood!  Again we got nothing.  Since we have been at Horseneck we have only come across a few pieces.  Guess everyone takes it home now that that Asian Ash Borer is around.
My daughter-in-law works at Rite Aid we decided to pay her a visit.  While we were there Lori bought birthday cards and the DIL talked into flu shots – which wasn’t difficult since we both get them every year and the DIL gets credit for them.
From there it was off to Villa Laundromat.  The cost per machine is much cheaper here than it was at Dartmouth Laundromat.  Although we dropped a good amount seeing we were also cleaning the bedding.  It also took a good amount of time to dry comforters, sheets, and blankets.  This is the one drawback to full-timing.  No washing machine or drier.  I hear the RV models are not that great – small loads that use a huge amount of water.  Plus we are dry camping and my 1800W Ryobi would not handle a drier!
We are expecting rain for the next few days from a front combined with the remnants of Tropical Storm Gordon. So we’ll see how that impacts the blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment