Saturday, October 5, 2013

Stupid GPS




This is our third year going to Assateague National Seashore.  Every year we stop at Naval Weapons Station, Earle – on vacation I like to keep the planned drive to four hours each day.  This way when a traffic jam or accident happens and everything backs up I’m not sent cursing and screaming any more than I do on a normal road trip.
This year I’m thankful we do that.  Traffic in New York and New Jersey was much heavier than it has been in previous years.  Because I do not have EZ Pass I had to take the extreme right toll booths at Exit 11 going from the New Jersey Turnpike to the Garden State Parkway.  Leaving the booths I had to go to the extreme left and the traffic would not let me do it – “Recalculating” goes the GPS.  Next the GPS tells me to “Keep Left” and I do but the darn thing meant “Take the middle road.”.  Fortunately, with the GPS’ help we arrived safely in Colts Neck none the worse for wear.  We actually came in farther north on Rte 34 than usual and noticed a couple of nice restaurants that we will try out the next time we are here.
I failed to mention that this is also the first year we have taken the ‘grand puppy’ – Axel - with us.  In the past we have avoided this because he is a Yellow Lab.  A hunter by nature and to aid him stalking his prey he will roll in the scat of potential prey to mask his own scent.  At Assateague there are piles of horse manure everywhere!  You would think the place would smell like a farm but for reasons unknown to me you cannot seem to smell it.  However I have not felt the need to spend an entire vacation showering horse poop off of a dog
Anyway Axel has torn the cruciate ligaments in both of his rear legs.  He will have surgery to repair one of them as soon as we get back.  Because of this I feel terrible and if he is happy rolling in poop I will be equally happy to hose it off of him.  Next to my wife Lori he has been the best friend I have ever had.

No comments:

Post a Comment