Sunday, November 11, 2018

Veterans Day


This is the first Veterans Day in many years that I have not, at least in part, been responsible for multiple ceremonies.  In the city I was from we had four events occurring on Veteran’s Day.  My day would typically start around 6 a.m. and end around 9 p.m.  This year I got to critique everything from the cheap seats.  What a difference!  Since it has been unseasonably cold here both the propane and non-ethanol gas for the generator were in short supply.  Fortunately Ocean City Service Co provides one stop shopping for these items. The downside to OC Service is that it is one of the few places in Maryland that charge a flat rate for propane based on cylinder size.  Because I always bring my 5-pound cylinder I probably overpaid on that cylinder based in what it actually took to top it off.
After topping off on fuels we headed to the Worcester County Vererans Memorial for the 11 a.m. ceremony.  For the record all Veterans Day ceremonies should start on the 11th hour of the 11 th day of the 11th month (look it up).   
The Worcester County Veterans Memorial Foundation did a terrific job with this ceremony.  They have flaggers to assist with parking and golf carts to provide rides for disabled to get from their cars to their seats. 
Rides to Seats
 

 The program was well laid out and moved along quickly – start to finish about 35 minutes.  Even though the weather was unseasonably cold (they really don’t understand that term until they have been in the northeast) the turnout seemed to e over 150 people.  After their ceremony I got to take a tour of the memorial area of the park and it is well done and provides exceptional information. 
Legion Post 166 - Ocean City, MD

The next event was at Synepuxent Post 166 American Legion.  Again another quality program but they planned many speakers bringing the program length to over an hour-and-a-half.  While all the speakers were interesting, my attention span fades at around an hour (as apparently it did for many at my table).  This causes a lot of background chatter, which I find disrespectful.  Then I get frustrated.  Frustrated and ansy are two qualities I do not display well.

Our last stop of the day, since I was getting hangry (hungry+angry for the uninitiated) was Hooters in West Ocean City.  Like many restaurants they have a free limited for veterans on 11/11.  Since I’m the only male in my family who has never been to Hooters I figured, why not?  From the limited menu I got traditional Buffalo Wings (I think they are called naked with hot sauce at Hooters) and Lori got fish and chips.  While the wings were good I don’t see why everyone raves about them – they were good, not great.  I really liked the fries that came with the fish and chips though.

No comments:

Post a Comment