Monday, October 8, 2018

Camp Stores - Sometimes the Place To Be


Well we are surviving the busy Columbus Day weekend.  We had a bunch of campers, about half of our sites, checkout Sunday.  Keeping up on cleaning sites at a facility where checkout time is  pm makes things a little easier - when it’s on a mountain it kind of negates that, even with a golf cart.  Greenbrier State Park is a very nice facility.  You will always arrive to a clean fire pit and a site that has been raked and is free from trash.  I find that when the park is clean – and this place is, the trash that ends up in the trees along the side of the road is even removed as it is noticed – the campers tend to keep it clean as they go.  My pet peeve is leaving your fire pit hot.  Here at Greenbrier we have metal buckets to put the fire pit ashes in and, when the bucket is full, we transport them to the ash dump.  I laugh every time I see a cart heading to the ash dump, a thick trail of smoke falling out behind it as it goes.  For my sites I try cool the ashes before I transport them but it all goes for naught at the ash dump – you can feel the heat from the pile as you dump your bucket!
We cleaned the first set of sites and needed to dump the ash bucket.  Heading back from the ash dump we stopped at the camp store for a quick cup of coffee.  As I enter the store our attendant , Brie, say “Thank You” so I ask why.  Apparently she sold more coffee that morning than she had sold previously.  So now I have a mission – push the camp store until it is out of product.  After our second trip to the ash dump - these people burn a lot of wood - we also stopped for ice cream! So stop by Greenbrier State Park this weekend– the Keurig works great and the Snickers Ice Cream bar is awesome!

No comments:

Post a Comment